Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Chronicle of Angel -- A Trilogy (Part I)

Ablazed

27 October 2006

A smart mother makes often a better diagnosis than a poor doctor. ~August Bier

I was awakened by a slight shuffle and low moan in the early dawn. Angel was tugging on the quilt; a rather unusual sight as she’s more well-known for kicking off the blanket.

“Very cold,” she muttered.

Cuddling her closer, I found her trembling and her skin warm to the touch. Within minutes, it was as if I was resting beside a burning furnace.

I got off my bed faster than any other days, took her temperature and gave her some medicines.

I had been chiding her for the past two nights over her revision. Had I stressed her too much?

“Mummy, we are going to have a ride in the hot air balloon tomorrow, aren’t we?” asked Angel in a husky voice after downing her medicines.

“Yes, but you can’t go if you aren’t well enough,” I replied.

“I want to get well! I want to ride in the hot air balloon!” her voice vibrated with excitement.

Unable to fall back to sleep, she got out of bed and we had an extremely early breakfast. She ate and chatted so heartily, if one had not felt her burning flesh, one could not make out that she was ill.

I urged her back into bed once she had filled her stomach. Without a protest, she tucked herself back into my bed.

“We’re going to the hot air balloon tomorrow, right?” she enquired once more.

I nodded my head and stressed once again, “If you are well enough.”

Hours later, the little cherub woke up from her morning nap. The next thing she did tickled me.

“Mervin, wake up! We are going to the hot air balloon TODAY! Wake up!” she shook a confused Mervin out of his sleep.

“What are you talking about? Aren’t we supposed to go tomorrow?” the poor boy mumbled.

Approaching me with a pout, Angel accused me,

“Mummy, yesterday when I asked you, ‘Are we going to the hot air balloon tomorrow?’ you said ‘Yes.’ But Mervin said we are not going today. Why did you lie to me?”

I couldn’t help but chuckled, “It was THIS MORNING when you asked me. So we are indeed going TOMORROW.”

Suddenly enlightened, she skipped off happily.

It was in the afternoon when things took a turn to the worse. Her temperature went up to over thirty-nine degrees celcius. She lost her appetite and was at the same time drained of all energy. It was heart-wrenching to see her hot tears rolling down her cheeks in an attempt to bear the pain of her throbbing headache.

I put her back into bed where she laid for the rest of the day. I checked her temperature every three hours; administered medicines to her; fed her barley, the only solid food she’ll take whenever she falls sick; made her drink plenty of fluid including 100-plus, honey and barley drink; sponge her thoroughly especially her forehead and the back of her neck; massage medicated oil on her aching forehead; rubbed vicks on her chest; and comforted her with lots of hugs and kisses.

She drifted in and out of sleep from then on. I knew it was another case of sinusitis but those were the least I could do to relieve the symptoms. Thinking of how hard she had tried to make me feel better when I was unwell, I couldn’t help but felt I wasn’t doing enough. Moreover, I may be the one who started the fire.

Remorse.

1 comment:

Mrs.keir said...

poor angel..
is she feeling beta alrd?