Sunday, October 01, 2006

Reality Bites

Reality bites... and doesn't let go. ~Author Unknown

How I wished I could stay in bed the whole day.

The urge to remain in my warm nest grew stronger as I gradually gained consciousness and remembered the chaos that I had left behind the previous night. How nice if there were little elves that will appear when I fall asleep to help me with the chores every night. A fairy Godmother would not be a bad idea either. But hey, I do have an angel who may be as good as a fairy. However, the moment I turned, I knew my hopes were dashed as the angel was still snoring lightly beside me.

I dragged myself reluctantly out of bed and went out to the battlefield. The previous night’s pleasant dream lifted my mood a little though, and took my mind off the droning dish-washing, laundry-cleaning, bags-packing, doggie-pee-poo-clearing, water-boiling… The Abba music I played helped to spice things up too.

Half of the morning was gone by the time I sat down and joined Mervin and Angel for my morning cup of tea. Once again, they were retrieving their Children Day’s gifts from their goodie-bags and having a show-and-tell session. Their happy chatters and occasional bickers turned up the corner of my lips. It was indeed a beautiful morning.

My sister-in-law brought her cute little pooch over for a little wrestling session with my bitch. After she left, I proceeded to tidy up the living room. It’s an impossible task to keep up with the kids. Their ability to clutter far exceeds my ability to de-clutter. I wouldn’t be surprised that the moment I turned my back, there would be another stack growing somewhere again.

The rest of the afternoon was lost… in the world of fantasy! My sister-in-law had engaged me in the training of her virtual character in an online game, Maple Story. My character in the game is a stark contrast to what I am in reality; I am a wealthy magician with strong powers and ultimate valor. So easily did the time pass when I was engrossed in killing the mobsters that by the time I came back to reality, it was way past five!

I quitted the game unwillingly and continued with the chores I had abandoned earlier. Sweet Mervin had helped me to vacuum and mop the floor in exchange for a few hours of playtime on my laptop which I happily obliged. So I only had to hand-wash the Chinese dance costumes of my two girls then.

Since I had washed the costumes, I used the soapy water left to wash my floor rags.

Since I had washed the floor rags, I used the soapy water left to scrub the bathroom floor.

Since I had scrubbed the bathroom floor, I might as well clean the toilet bowl.

I left the bathroom with wrinkled fingers and a sense of achievement.

The feeling lost almost instantly when I stepped out of the bathroom. The sink was filled with greasy mugs and plates again. The dining table was covered with biscuits crumbs and sticky juice stains. I carried a heap of sun-dried clothes onto my bed and went on to have my shower, feeling utterly defeated.

After my shower, I flung my soiled clothes into the yet again half-filled laundry basket. The papers at the corner were soaked with Kristel’s pee once more. As I passed the living room on my way out to my in-law’s place for dinner, I couldn’t help but notice a few books strewn across the coffee table again.

When will this vicious cycle ever end?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...as you said, it's a vicious cycle which will never end...hahaha...we just have to keep up with it. Tell ourselves that at least we have these mess to remind us that we have these little angels with us rather then being alone and no angel to enjoy? Right?

You are one computer game freak! hahaha.....I can understand how addictive they are. When I'm stuck with a game, I can get so engrossed that my wife also scolded me. When I play at nite, I can go on till 2 am then reluctantly go to sleep cos got to wake up at 6 to be ready for work....hahaha....

That's life of a housewife, cleaning after cleaning that leaves the hands wrinkled and seeing more to be done and when we are showered and tot we have completed everything that is to be done.....WHAM! we see more things to do and .......here goes again....

felicia said...

Gee.. You speak like a pro househusband.. Hahahaha..

Wow.. You played till 2am?? I tried playing the whole nite without sleeping.. Hehehe.. I win!