Thursday, October 05, 2006

Triple Joy

I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy. ~J.D. Salinger

After yesterday’s double dose of happiness, I was on high alert for the catastrophe which always follows.

I started the day with my usual grouchy mood, had a hearty breakfast with my kids and remove the remaining HUGE couch cover to wash. When I was hauling the hefty load out of the window, I had a sudden feeling that something was going to break; it’s either the bamboo pole or my back.

Thank God none of the above happened.

I had to admit that I am a poor assessor of time when the fifteen minutes I allowed for ironing the girls’ dancing costume dragged on to thirty minutes. I was desperately rushing to get in time to send the kids to school that I was steaming as much as the iron itself. After another fifteen minutes, I could finally step into a shower. Thank God that the kids made it to school just on time.

I spent the rest of the afternoon in school. During the one-hour Mentoring Program, the boy was unexpectedly well-behaved and we managed to accomplish more than I had planned. Lady Luck was definitely smiling down on me. Somehow, I had a feeling that the little belated Children’s Day gift I presented to him at the beginning of the lesson played a part as well.

The disaster I had been looking out for the whole morning and afternoon didn’t happen. Instead, I was surprised by another jolt of ecstasy. I could hardly believe my luck. If all that was happening to me was supposed to be a big joke, I’d still happily revel in it. Fairy Godmother, are you really out there?

As if to bring me back to Earth from the seventh heaven, I was greeted by pee-stained kitchen floor when I got home. I didn’t spare the bitch from my backlash. But thanks to her, my kitchen floor got a thorough scrub from me.

Late that night, after the chores, I watched “Tom and Jerry” with the kids, through half-opened eyes and semi-consciousness. The chores and thrill for the day was sapping my energy fast. Just when I thought I could drift into dreamland blithely, Angel announced from the kitchen that Kristel had done her business on the kitchen floor once again.

Gathering the last of my energy, I scrubbed the floor another time and gave the dog a good dressing down.

I was so tired my eyes could not stay opened and my mouth could not stay closed.

However, my mind could not stop replaying the happy moments I had had. At the same time, I couldn’t stop the bugging thought that my misfortune had not befallen me yet.

Tomorrow will be in red alert.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does bad things always had to follow after something good? Why does man have to think negatively even before something happen? Whatever good or bad that happens are beyond our control. What we can do is always to ensure that we are in control. Enjoy those happy moments and when something not so good happen, dun let it affect us and spoil the rest of our day. Think positively and accept whatever comes our way then it'll soften the impact. We are our greatest enemy cos we allow ourselves to be defeated by problems and let it control us.


Hahaha...so much for all these nonsense... I see that you had a great day except for your little pooch. Isn't 3 kids enough to handle? That you want to take care of another, which is harder to control? Hahaha.............

I see that the dog is giving every opportunity for you to clean the house and change the furnitures....:)

felicia said...

oooh.. is it that obvious? gosh.. i have to come up with a better excuse to do housework and change my furniture next time.. :P