Friday, October 06, 2006

Cliff Hanger

Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. ~Author Unknown

Every night as I lie in bed, I would decide what I want to do the next morning.

Every morning as I drag myself drearily out of bed, I would do none of those planned the night before. The only time when everything goes according to plan is when I planned to do nothing the following morning.

Lunch for today was eggs and sausages which I had intended to serve for breakfast. But as usual, I couldn’t wake up in time.

I managed to do my laundry for the day though as the towering clothes were threatening to trigger a major landslide anytime. After three full loads and thanks to the persevering Grandpa Sun who wasn’t intimidated by the ongoing haze for the past few days, I could finally see the bottom of the basket.

On the way back from school, I decided to buy dinner for the kids.

“I thought you said that you want to cook tonight?” Mervin scorned.

“Well…” I stammered, “Since you wanted to reach home earlier and finish your dinner sooner so that you can meet your friends in Maple Story, then it’ll be faster to buy back.”

Phew! I managed to pass the ball back to him. What I didn’t mention was the time I’d save preparing, cooking, washing and cleaning up.

Angel was in an exceptionally good mood that night. She behaved like a model good girl, helping out in all the housework, did her assessments properly and neatly and didn’t throw any tantrums at all.

Mervin wasn’t bad either. He did his assessment dutifully, helped me to vacuum the floor as repayment for playing the online game and remained sweet-tempered the whole night.

Rachel was in one of her grouchy mood, however. I could understand the way she was feeling occasionally as she was going through her puberty and tried to keep away from her mine field.

Amidst the kids’ revision time, I entertained them with my mediocre Bubble-Gum Blowing skill. I got gum all over my face and nose but the hysterical laughter I got from them was more than rewarding.

Instead of brooding over what I did not do for the day, I congratulated myself on the things that I had accomplished.

I had washed the clothes, folded the clothes and…

At least it wasn’t an ordinary pile of clothes. It was a MOUNTAIN of clothes.

It’s a huge conquest for Mini-Me.

No comments: