Thursday, November 02, 2006

Chronicle of Angel -- A Trilogy (Part II)

Judgement Day

28 October 2006

A Short History of Medicine
2000 B.C. - "Here, eat this root."
1000 B.C. - "That root is heathen, say this prayer."
1850 A.D. - "That prayer is superstition, drink this potion."
1940 A.D. - "That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill."
1985 A.D. - "That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic."
2000 A.D. - "That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root."
~Author Unknown

It was an ordeal trying to keep myself awake past midnight. I nodded off the moment I administered the post-midnight dose of medication to Angel and slept through the night like a log. When I finally woke up it was way past eight in the morning. It took me a full minute to clear my foggy mind and remembered that I was supposed to look after a sick child!

Shame washed over me as I reproached myself for failing miserably in my responsibility. It’s really a wonder how those mothers in the model essays manage to pull through. I really salute them.

Thank goodness Angel’s fever had subsided over the night. Despite her lingering cough and persistent running nose, she was in a better spirit than the previous day.

The moment she opened her eyes, she popped the most important question on her mind,

“Mummy, can I go to the hot air balloon today?”

It was cruel. But I had to disappoint her.

“I’m afraid you have to stay at home. Your fever has not gone down completely.”

“But I’m feeling much better now! Can’t I go? Please?” she begged.

I had to harden my heart to look into those pleading eyes of hers and stood firm.

“No. You have to stay at home and rest. Moreover, your exam is in a few days’ time. What if your condition worsens after you come back?”

The little face darkened and wore a huge frown.

“But then I won’t be able to be with you and sis and bro. Please let me follow. I promise I won’t get sick when we come back.”

With my heart aching, I hugged her and said,

“I’m sorry, darling. I have to keep you at home. I won’t be going too. So you have me to keep you company at home.”

“Really?” the little face brightened a little.

Fortunately, Angel had had her chance to be on the hot air balloon previously. Her aunt had two tickets then and had brought Angel with her for the trip as Mervin and Rachel were having their common tests during that time. Angel had enjoyed that trip so much that she had pestered her aunt for another trip in future if given a chance.

I understood how much she had been looking forward to this trip and how great her disappointment must have been. Hence, I planned to make her recuperation at home an enjoyable one.

It was heartening to see her appetite returned as she downed some pancakes for breakfast and finished the light porridge that I had prepared for her lunch. For the rest of the afternoon, we cooped up in my bedroom to watch “Tom and Jerry” and “Chicken Little”. Her laughter jingled pleasantly in my ears as I cuddled her in my arms.

As evening approached, I reluctantly brought Angel to my in-law’s place for dinner. I cast a quick glance at Angel before heading out. She seemed alright to me. She hadn’t lost too much weight, I hope. Her fever had gone down considerably, and I prayed it’d stay the same throughout the evening. Her appetite had somehow returned, thank God. She looked well-rested and was able to smile.

But still, it was too early to tell what was lying ahead of me.

The moment we stepped into my in-law’s house, we were greeted by a concerned grandmother.

“Angel! My poor girl! Are you feeling better?”

“Yes, Ah Ma, I’m feeling much better now,” replied Angel with a radiant smile.

Correct answer. Correct expression. Phew.

“Why did she fall sick?” Grandma was just being concerned.

“Well, I guess it’s the weather and the flu virus…” I didn’t think I need to mention the stress of the examination to her.

“Why the fever?” Grandma was really concerned.

“Because of the flu…”

“Why so sick and feverish?” Grandma was really very concerned.

“Flu…”

“Why still having fever?” Grandma was seriously concerned.

“…”

“Did you give her medicine?”

“Yes.”

“She’s still having a fever. I think I’d better brew some medicine for her tomorrow.”

“But she’s taking medications at home right now…”

Angel coughed twice in the background.

“Dear me! She’s coughing too! Did you give her medicine for coughing?”

“Yes.”

“Why suddenly fall ill…” it was apparent that the “Flu Theory” failed to convince her.

With that look on her face, I prayed very hard that she wouldn’t bring up the idea of bringing Angel to a “Master” and getting some talisman for her.

She looked painfully at Angel.

I looked painfully away.

Dread.

No comments: