Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all. ~Sam Ewing
I had a hard time getting out of my comfy bed in the morning. Every time I closed my eyes to catch another wink, fifteen minutes were gone. By the time I was getting out and about, it was a little past nine.
I remembered what I had promised myself last night. So after getting the kids to leave home for school, I embarked on the first chore that was causing me an eyesore. The stack of dishes in the sink got a good scrub from me and stood glinting in the sunlight streaming from the window. First mission completed, I thought, my face brimming with pride.
The second task on hand was to clear the papers laden with the pooch’s pee. While disposing the stinky sheets, I discovered that the bitch had managed to pee on my bathroom mat again. With resignation, I cleaned the stain on the floor with kitchen papers and washed the mat. As I straightened my back to soothe a mild ache slowly spreading along my spine, I felt another sense of accomplishment.
To strike while the iron is hot, I proceeded to collect all the soiled clothes strewn over the places, loaded the washing machine, vacuumed the floor, hanged the washed clothes, loaded another wash and mopped the floor.
My ego was slowly escalating with each level of attainment. Bursting with a new surge of energy, I decided to take on the Project Girls’ Closet which I had put on the back burner since months ago. I stepped bravely up to the wardrobe, opened the wardrobe’s door and a cascade of clothes fell onto my feet. Within seconds, I was buried waist-deep in a heap of clothes.
The confidence which I had just built up plunged immediately to a new low. I waddled out of the “deep sheets” I’ve gotten myself into and had second thoughts about following up on this project. The urge to just stuff the clothes back into the wardrobe grew so strong that I had to get a tight grip of my left hand with my right hand. I took a deep breath, plunged head on into the deep water and began the painstaking process of sorting out, throwing away, folding and putting back of the clothes.
Halfway through the grueling task, I staggered out of the room to take a breather. I was getting out of sorts and desperately needed an escape. Sitting on my bed in a daze, I was faced with another mountain of freshly-washed, unfolded clothes.
I made my mind up to tackle the mountain instead of the deep water. I’d go back to the water once I learn how to swim, I supposed.
It took me more than fifteen minutes to level the mountain. At least I could pat myself on my back once again for another job well done. For the rest of the afternoon, I laid in my bed dawdling. My enthusiasm was totally exhausted.
The kids came back from school in the evening with an air of excitement. I raised an eyebrow at the big plastic bag Mervin was carrying and demanded to know what was in it.
To my amazement, my dear boy had bought a cabbage and a packet of carrots for me from the organic farm he had visited this morning with his class. He also bought a little pouch and a hanging bear for his sisters. In addition, he bought a sachet of ginseng tea for his granny too. His unexpected gesture really caught me off balance. My boy is really growing into a fine gentleman.
It was indeed a rewarding day, with accomplished tasks and a considerate son. Out of the corner of my eyes, the remaining pool of clothes lying on the girls’ room’s floor gnawed at my conscience.
I’ll have to take up swimming someday.
Sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment