Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Simply Felicity

We enjoy warmth because we have been cold.
We appreciate light because we have been in darkness.
By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness. ~David Weatherford


A simple trip to the library, a little treat from Rachel to KFC for dinner and some casual browsing in the Popular bookstore contributed to a wonderful evening spent.

Instead of spending our time holed up in the small apartment, I decided to bring them to the library to return their almost due books and borrow some new ones. The three monkeys jumped with joy.

Mervin and Angel had developed an increased interest over reading gradually over the past months, after much encouragement from me. Though library is not top on their list of outings, it’s still better than cooping at home.

We spent almost an hour searching for books, reading some, and deciding on the four they were allowed to borrow.

Rachel’s treat to KFC was the climax of the evening. She had unselfishly decided to fork out a portion of her savings to send us to the seventh heaven. I ordered a Bandito Student’s Meal for her and two Popcorn Chicken Meals for her siblings. I footed the bill with the three five-dollar bills she handed me. A sense of pride rose within me. I have a kind and magnanimous daughter who cares for her family.

Angel and Mervin pounced on their dinners like hungry wolves. Rachel managed to gobble hers most gracefully. I tried to steal some fries and Popcorn chickens from Angel only to get a snarl from her. My hand retreated unwillingly. Mervin, on seeing this, offered the biggest piece of Popcorn chicken he could find in his box. I accepted it most gladly and almost planted kisses on his face.

From the corner of my eyes, I spotted Rachel whispering in Angel’s ear. Almost immediately, Angel picked one Popcorn chicken out of her box in random and handed it to me graciously. I thanked her profusely and nibbled on it extensively. I patted Rachel’s head knowingly and gratitude overflowed from my heart.

We decided to drop by the Popular after our dinner for a short spree. We bagged only two packets of coloured papers for their Art and project purposes after a lengthy hour.

“Mummy, did you get me anything?” asked Angel while we were queuing up in front of the cashier.

“I bought this packet of coloured papers for you,” I replied.

“Oh… Only this…” Angel started.

I cut her short by saying, “Mervin hasn’t even gotten anything. So you’d better not complain.”

Her face instantly switched from glum to delight.

As for Mervin, thankfully he wasn’t within earshot.

No comments: