Sunday, July 30, 2006

Eyes Wide Shut

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did. ~Newt Gingrich

It’s another long and eventful day.

Rachel had a Chinese Dance performance at the Musical Fountain at Sentosa this evening. For a mere five-minute dance, the whole group of dancers had to gather in school by 12pm, changed into their costumes, get their hair tied and face made-up.

I was there to help out again. Angel, as usual, decided to tag along. My sister-in-law had commented that she’s so sticky to me that she’s like a fly hovering around me. I hope she didn’t mean that I’m like a pile of shit.

There’s a rehearsal at around 3.30pm. The sun then was like a scorching ball of fire. I nearly melted and evaporated under the merciless heat. My mind was filled with images of me burnt and roasted by the end of the day. Darn it! I kept chanting to myself, “I want to be fair; I don’t want to be tanned… I want to be fair; I don’t want to be tanned…”

I hope there’s a Fairy Godmother around who could fulfill my wish.

The actual performance was at 6.30pm. My in-laws and Mervin were seated by then to give Rachel full moral support. By the time the whole performance ended, it was around 7pm. We sat there for another forty minutes to wait for the half-hour multi-media musical, Magical Sentosa. It was my third time watching the amazing light and laser extravaganza. I simply love the part when the fire balls shot up into the sky.

We left Sentosa after 8pm for our dinner. We had a big feast. Everyone was teasing the kids on their bloated tummies when we were leaving our table.

“How come your tummy is not bloated after you downed so many sticks of satays?” exclaimed my sister-in-law to Rachel.

Rachel shrugged.

Angel, on the other hand, was keen to provide the answer, “Yes, she is all bloated at her bosoms!”

Oh my God!

We had to stifle our laughter while chiding her for her crude remarks.

We reached home after 10pm. The kids dumped all their stuffs on the table and sofas and floors, took their showers and carried their exhausted bodies to bed. Everyone was snoring within five minutes.

I, on the other hand, had to pick up their things, put them away, dump all their dirty clothes into the washing machine, start the wash cycle, fold the heap of clothes on my bed, iron their uniform…

And now, the washing machine is beeping, signaling for me to hang up the clean laundry.

Drats. The snores of the kids were lulling me into sleep. But I still have to hang on.

I suddenly recall that I have to wake up by 6am tomorrow morning for the swimming session.

Double drats.

No comments: