Monday, July 17, 2006

16 July 2006, Sunday

The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in the morning feeling just plain terrible. ~Jean Kerr, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, 1957

The alarm clock sounded.

I peered at the time with the widest slits I could manage.

7.30am.

Why did I have to wake up so early? Before I could get the answer, sleep engulfed me once more.

I drifted out of sleep again at 8am. My mind was trying to remind me of something; something important. Before I realized, my world turned into darkness again.

8.30am.

And I awoke with a start this time. Yes, there was definitely something significant today. As my mind gradually cleared, I worked it out. Rachel was supposed to reach school by 10am in the morning to prepare for a dance performance in the afternoon!

As I struggled out of the cozy quilt, I woke Angel who was snoring blissfully beside me. I really hated to disturb her sleep considering her taxing episode the day before but time was as of essence at the moment.

I wasn’t surprise to find Rachel already out and ready by the dining table by the time I washed up. I really wonder sometimes if she really needs to sleep at all.

We got out of the house at 9.50am. Late for sure! But on Rachel’s insistence, we decided to walk to the school.

It didn’t help when we were caught in the rain midway through our journey.

By the time we reached the school compound, we were partially drenched from head to toes.

Rachel’s performance was held at West Mall, a stone’s throw away from their school. They were going to dance the same piece Angel had danced the previous day. Only this time, they will be performed by the upper primary pupils who had much more experiences than the little ones.

If the crowd the day before was spectacular, the crowds at West Mall were even more appalling. Flocks of people filled the level one atrium, surrounded the railings on all the four levels, and jammed the entrances of the shops.

Rachel did her dance effortlessly at 2.30pm. The little ones really couldn’t hold a candle to the big sisters but they were adorable in their own ways.

We had a quick lunch at McDonald after the girls wriggled out of their costumes and got rid of their makeup.

Reached home after 5pm.

I tried to relax with a book and ended up shutting my eyes on it.

No comments: