Monday, June 12, 2006

Rain or Shine

How it pours, pours, pours, In a never-ending sheet! How it drives beneath the doors! How it soaks the passer's feet! How it rattles on the shutter! How it rumples up the lawn! How 'twill sigh, and moan, and mutter, From darkness until dawn. ~Rossiter Johnson "Rhyme of the Rain"

How it rained for the past few days. Damp weather, damp clothes, and damp sticky floors, dampen my mood.

Things didn’t get better when I discovered the nest had yet again been blown off my mop. Somehow, I wonder. As I couldn’t even find a trace of the carcass on my window ledge or the ground below, I wonder if the Yellow Birds had managed to detach the half-completed nest from my mop and reallocated it to a safer place. Possible?

Today’s bright sunny weather is a stark contrast to the gloomy downpour yesterday. What joy and relief to finally be able to sun my clothes and wash my bed sheets. The floor dried squeaky clean in the cheery warmth. I opened all the windows and the house cheered up immediately.

My kids, on the other hand, weren’t bothered by the fickle weather. They enjoyed every moment.

On dark stormy days, they take the opportunity to allow sprays of rain onto their faces. They squeal with delight while treading through flooded pavements. They chuckle when the piercing wind made them shiver.

On clear days, they play under the passionate sun, let the breeze ruffle through their hair as they run freely in the open, and fill the playground with shrills of laughter.

While we attempt to teach our kids how to deal with life, they teach us how to live life.

No comments: