The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in the morning feeling just plain terrible. ~Jean Kerr, Please Don't Eat the Daisies, 1957
I guess God took pity on me and proposed a break for me this morning; an intended ten-minute snooze turned out to be an hour of concuss. I overslept.
With guilty conscience, I called my colleague to excuse myself from work.
As sleep was already jolted out of my system, I decided to start my day early; I stayed in my room for a whole hour surfing and chatting with my friends and brother online.
The moment I stepped out of my room into the kitchen, I realized why God had kept me in the room. He lifted my mood considerably for an entire hour to prepare me for the catastrophe I was to face in the kitchen.
Two piles of dog poo laid on the papers and another on the floor. Dog pee drenched the floor, seeped into the gaps of the tiles and flowed like River Nile across the kitchen floor. The stench was intolerable! The scene was unbearable! That dog was unendurable!
Since it was eon ago when I last spring clean the house, I rolled up my sleeves and spent an hour vacuuming and mopping the whole house, clearing the stinky mess, scrubbing the kitchen floor and cursing Kristel. I even managed to do a full load of laundry!
The afternoon was reserved for Mervin’s soccer match again. Though he didn’t get to play at all, both of us had a great time cheering for the team and chewing out the referee. The team lost again but at least they managed to score a goal! The team was not hopeful since the beginning of the game as their opponent was supposedly the best team in their group. They thought scoring a goal was impossible.
“Nothing is impossible!” I exclaimed.
See, I was right!
After the match, Mervin and I rushed to the church to meet up with Rachel, Angel and our cell group for Emerge, a reach-out service for youth. I managed to blend in with the rest thanks to the poor lighting. It was a wonderful service.
The service ended a quarter to ten. Angel complained of a headache brewing and Mervin was tired out. We decided to head home straight away without joining the rest for dinner.
By the time we reached home, it was well past eleven. I made some cereal drinks for them and changed the soiled papers in the kitchen.
Mervin took a shower, finished his drink and fell into a deep slumber within seconds.
Rachel and Angel sat at the dining area with me over their drinks and chatted for another half an hour. I urged Angel to get her shower then gave her medication and a head rub before putting her to bed too.
Finally, I bid goodnight to Rachel and went for my long-awaited shower. My eyes could barely stay open.
Thankfully I had not gone for work in the morning.
Otherwise, I would have been a deader meat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment