Sunday, February 22, 2009

One More Time

Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed. ~Attributed to both Jonathan Swift and Benjamin Franklin

Today’s service was a Q&A session with a special guest. He spoke of how when his marriage was threatened decades ago, his wife demanded him to make a choice between his church and his family. After much struggle, he stepped down as a pastor and devoted his time to his family.

I was immensely touched by the sacrifice. Even when he continued to share on what he will do to make his wife feel loved each day – simple things like a cup of tea every morning and a flower every week.

I couldn’t help but reminisced the past, when life was so blissful. He would make sure that I had my meals. He would always wake up before me and woke me up with breakfast on the table for me. How I miss those times.

A tiny flame of hope rekindled in my heart. Maybe things will really change one day. Maybe God will answer our prayers.

“Always go the extra mile.” The pastor preached.

When things go bad, give it one more try. When things don’t work, give it one more chance. No matter how many times we fail, how many times we fall, just trust in the Lord one more time – until things work out.

After the service, I went for dinner with my girlfriend and her husband while the kids stayed on for an after-service activity. It was an enjoyable meal and sharing session on how kids and I began to attend church. I also spoke of my worry on how kids’ father would respond to my email. I had decided to spill the beans as I know it is something the kids wanted very much – their father’s consent and support.

We shopped a little and parted as soon as my girlfriend had “bedtime” written all over her face.

I met kids at the mall and got Angel a new mobile phone to replace her faulty one. We were at the arcade where the kids had a whale of a time when kids’ father called.

“Everything’s OK. I’ve received your email. It’s OK.”

My heart was elated.

“How’s Mervin? What happened to him?”

I had mentioned to him about Mervin’s earlier rebellious days and his marked improvement after he received Christ.

“He’s OK now. He was simply with the wrong company but he’s really great now.” I almost purred with happiness to him. I couldn’t believe that it could be so easy.

Once at home, I settled the kids down and broke the news to them. I let them know that their father is aware of us attending church and did not object. But I also tried to explain to them that as an unbeliever, their father may say or do things which may be unpleasant to them. No matter what, they still have to respect their father and be prepared for making sacrifices.

“How did he tell you? Did he tell you nicely or like this,” Mervin did a mimic of his father talking.

I had not told them what their dad had said but Mervin managed to hit on almost all the words in almost the similar frustrating tone!

“Of course he wouldn’t have sounded nice since he’s a non-believer,” Angel was surprising smart for once.

“By the way, I had told him of how you all had become better persons after you had received Christ too,” I added.

“Did he realize that the way you talk to him over the phone is so much better than last time too?” Mervin was the one who made that remark again.

“Of course he can tell!” Angel replied on my behalf. I could only plaster a huge grin on my face.

“At least, you should be glad that he does not object to your attending church.” I smiled reassuringly.

One more time, I prayed.

No comments: