Friday, February 20, 2009

Dead Beat

When I work nobody care, when I rest everybody stare. ~Author Unknown

It was past seven when I woke up in the morning. Surprisingly, I wasn’t late for my company transport. I even had time to buy a papaya for breakfast and finished it before the bus came.

I spent the whole morning looking for things to keep myself busy. Working life means, when you are busy, you are really busy; when you are free, you have to act busy.

The morning passed with barely anything for me to do. I was like what my colleague commented, “anaconda-ing” around!

I kept to my promise and skipped lunch. While my colleagues were out to lunch, I stayed back in the office and did something which I ought to have done months ago. I emailed to kids’ father and broke the news of our belief and kids’ baptism to him. Whatever the outcome, I believe I did the right thing.

When my colleagues returned from lunch, work suddenly began to pile up. Before I could clear a stack, another pile came in. It always never rains but pours.

Before I left the office, I wrote a note on the things that I had to accomplish tomorrow – make copies of the purchase orders, file them, print out the payment certificates, make copies of them, file them, process invoices, prepare payment certificates for certification, order stationery… I have until noon tomorrow to get all those done.

The moment I stepped out of the office, my thoughts switched to domestic matter. I was still picturing broccoli with prawns and pacific clams, fried eggs, and soup with meatballs, toufu and fish dumpling at my doorstep, but everything transformed into instant noodles after I stepped in.

After dinner, I nagged kids into doing their assessments as usual, did two full loads of laundry, gave Angel a long lecture on her sloppiness in her studies and felt dead tired again.

Tomorrow I’m going to be another dead meat.

Dead beat.

No comments: