Thursday, September 28, 2006

Magical Moments

Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad. ~Norm Papernick

I couldn’t believe my streak of luck! Something magical happened the previous night made my last night and today! I couldn’t spend a minute without reminiscing the sweetness it brought to my heart; the ecstasy it brought to my spirit; the incredulity that brought tears to the brink of my eyes.

The moment was so miraculous it seemed so unreal. Something exploded within me and my mind went blank. My eyes were blinded with the sheer happiness which jolted through my body. I had to gasp for air as I was exhaling too much with my explosion of cheers and laughter.

Angel eyed me skeptically as I pranced about her singing the “Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” song.

“Mummy?” she cocked an eyebrow.

“Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay,” I skipped around my bedroom.

“What…” she was sitting on my bed with horror written on her face.

“My, oh my, what a wonderful day,” I spinned a full spin which I didn’t realize before that I could do it.

“Why…” Angel dared not move an inch.

“Plenty of sunshine headin’ my way,” I squeezed her tight with a hug embrace.

“…” now she dared not even breath a word.

“Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!” I ended a song with a loud smooch on her chubby cheek.

She was totally mortified when I left the room.

I was thankful that the feeling did not abandon me in the morning. I woke up with my usual grouse but immediately brightened up as the sweet nostalgia swept through me again. The bouts of uncontrolled spasms had settled into a tranquil bliss.

The day in school breezed through without a glitch. Perhaps it’s my happiness that had smoothened out any rough edges that came my way. I caught myself smiling to myself even when a teacher I was helping out was deeply agitated. I hope she didn’t see my smile and thought that I was gloating over her. I was simply lost in my own world the whole day.

Things get even better when I managed to clear one bill out of the many that had accumulated in the drawer. Another load lifted from me and I felt almost light-headed instantly.

The kids truly benefited from my unconscious state of mind. In the spur of the moment, I treated them to an expensive meal at the McDonald’s. Instead of the usual normal student meals they were allowed to eat, they ordered McWings and McSpicy. When my head finally cleared and I saw the few coins I received for change from the two red bills I handed out, my heart did ache a little. But it was their happy smile and enthusiastic munching on their food that soothed the ache.

As we were heading home, the sun was low in the sky. I was suddenly aware of the beautiful picture I was in. A mother carrying a school bag and file, tagged behind two chatty kids in front. A little sweet cherub clung onto the only available hand of the mother and uttering sweet nothings to the mother while skipping along.

Peace and contentment filled me as I returned Angel a gratifying smile.

No comments: