Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 9: A Step-By-Step Guide To A Room Makeover

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired. ~Jules Renard

It took me forever to rearrange the furniture in Mervin’s room.

It all began when Mervin told me that he preferred his bed back in the old corner before I tried to be smart and shifted his furniture a few months back. Ok. Since it’s the school holiday, I’ll try to right things by re-shuffling his furniture all over again.

The first step was the most crucial: meditate. I sat on his bed for an hour staring into space. Hey, my mind wasn’t idling. I was picturing where to place each piece of furniture and how to maneuver them.

The second step was important too: warm up. I treaded my steps carefully all over the threshold and exercised my fingers on my notebook keyboard before the real action started.

The third step was complicated: surgical procedures of the PC. To my dear readers, please do not attempt this unless you are guided by professional personnel. It consists of dismantling the disarray of wires, hauling each torso carefully to another area, cleaning the torsos, wiping the surfaces of the operation table, tugging and pulling of the operation table into desired position, placing the dissected torsos onto the operation table, reconnecting the wires and finally tying up the wires into neat bundles. To ensure the surgery was a success, I did a test run on the PC. The PC was successfully resuscitated!

The fourth step was necessary after such a complex one-hour operation: cool off. Once again, I strolled with purpose around the house and recomposed my tensed fingers on my notebook keyboard.

The fifth step was another major feat: steer the bookshelf. To those who are reading this, it is dangerous to try this out at home. You may end up with a fractured finger or a cracked skull. Do not attempt this on your own, unless accompanied by an adult. I had to unload some heavy files from the vessel, guide the craft along the narrow route amidst the murky waters to the designated spot with the help of my two kids… Oh, did I mention that you need to attempt this with the aid of an adult? Come on, I am the adult! Anyway, the three of us braved the storm and danger of broken nails to direct the shelf into its new location. With a few hurls of the files into position, mission complete within half an hour!

The sixth step was… yes, you got it: unwind. It’s impossible to attempt the next stage without a cool, calm and collected mind. And yes, I walked to my room to chat with my friends on my laptop again.

The seventh step: placement of the throne. Before hauling the holy siesta getaway into its corner, it was necessary to suck up all impurities with the vacuum cleaner and cleanse the area with a mop. After the ritual, Mervin, Angel and I had the honour to push the throne in place. Brilliant!

Despite our efforts, the room was still in a mess. Scraps of the big movement littered the floor, cluttered the desk and sprawled all over the bed. We took a look at the clock on the wall. It said 7.30pm, which means it’s time to fill the empty tummies.

“Come on, we’ll leave these to tomorrow.”

But the one thing I forgot: Tomorrow Never Comes.

No comments: