Friday, September 08, 2006

Day 11: D & D (Date and Dinner)

Missing someone gets easier every day because even though it's one day further from the last time you saw each other, it's one day closer to the next time you will. ~Author Unknown

I went on a date with my Prince Charming today.

Ok. Before those who really know me start cocking their eyebrows or swearing blasphemies, I’d better come clean right from the start. My Prince Charming is Mervin.

Thanks for all the jeers and rotten eggs.

By the way, we spent a rare afternoon alone at out town central. Angel, the usually sticky glue, had decided to follow my sister-in-law to her friend’s house in the morning. Thus, it left me and myself to fetch Mervin from school after his last lesson of the Lego Robotic Workshop.

We took a bus to the interchange. As we were approaching an aunty selling tissue papers, Mervin suddenly whispered that he would like to help that aunty to buy some of her tissue papers.

“May I?” he enquired.

“Sure! Go ahead!” I urged.

It was such a tender gesture by the normally bull-headed rascal. I was nearly touched to tears. He took out a one-dollar coin from his wallet, placed it gingerly in the aunty’s hand, and tried prying out a packet of tissue papers from the several packets the aunty handed out.

“Take. Take all of them,” the aunty smiled.

Abashed, Mervin took all the packets of tissue papers handed out and kept them in his bag.

“Actually I just wanted to help her. I was thinking of just giving her the money and not taking her tissue papers,” Mervin mused.

I nearly gave him a bear hug right in front of all the commuters in the interchange. But I decided to give him a chance seeing the way he had already blushed by his extremely sweet gesture!

As we headed towards the traffic junction, we passed by a few more elderly selling tissue papers. My prince and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.

“If you are to patronize each and every of them, your bag will be overflowed with tissue papers!” I teased.

He agreed with hearty chortles.

We had our lunch at a hawker center and proceeded to the library next. Spotting an empty couch at the corner of the library café, we raced forward it and plunged into it.

“It’s our lucky day!” I exclaimed.

While he happily devoured another Oreo cheesecake and a cup of cool tea freeze, I went to the children’s section to look for a few books for him to browse through. We spent the next couple of hours munching on finger food with a book in hand and soaking in the serene ambience.

Before going home, we turned into a supermarket to shop for our dinner. I had promised to cook spaghetti for Angel that night, but Mervin and I agreed that we couldn’t down any more heavy food. As we scanned through the shelves and refrigerators of the supermarket, Mervin came across a box of mini pancakes. Delightedly, we decided to have a pancake meal for dinner. We completed the grocery shopping with another bottle of maple syrup and two cartons of soya bean milk.

The preparation of the mini pancakes was so simple. I just had to take out the pancakes, placed them on a big round plate, and MICROWAVE! Absolutely time-saver and energy-saver! Angel was a little disappointed for not being able to have her spaghetti dinner but she was happy to have anything besides fish and rice. And my prince gladly consumed eight pancakes in a row! Talking about black hole, he is really having an awesome appetite recently!

The day ended with contentment. Not to mention that tomorrow is a day to look forward to. Rachel is coming back from her trip!

The only blotch is the mess still in Mervin’s room.

Why do elves not exist?

No comments: