Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A Loose Page

The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won't. ~Henry Ward Beecher

31st July 2006 (Monday)

Today is a semi-conscious day.

My made in Singapore Rachel brand alarm clock sounded promptly at 6am. I tried pushing the snooze button but it didn’t work. After five minutes of agitated buzz, the alarm clock stormed out of the room angrily.

I slid out of my cozy bed reluctantly, nearly crawled on all fours to reach the bathroom, and tried to freshen up. At long last, I managed to pry my eyes open by another one millimeter.

I finally got ready by 6.45am. By then, my three kids were practically helping me to switch off all the lights, retrieve my carry-all bag, shove me out of the rooms and close all doors behind me.

We reached the school at 7am. I spent the next forty minutes in a daze. Before I realized, it was time to head for the pool.

Chatting with the teacher and other parent volunteers was another chore. I was drifting in and out of consciousness. Half of the time, I was unaware of the conversation carried out. Nonetheless, my auto-response never failed to provide with a “oh” or “ah” to every remark. Thankfully, I didn’t have to be tested on comprehension then.

I was able to go home for a short break after settling Angel in the school after her lunch. The usual fifteen minutes walk home took me an extra five minutes. I was glad that I returned home safe and sound as I was on auto-pilot during half of the journey.

Upon reaching home, I suddenly decided to play the role of an ordinary responsible mother for a day. I spent more than half an hour in the bathroom laundering the soiled Chinese dance costumes Rachel performed in the previous day, three floor mats I had left soaking for the past three to four days, and Mervin’s and Angel’s wet swimming costumes. Next, I loaded the washing machine with dark-coloured filthy clothes and program for a full cycle. Then, I proceeded to vacuum and mop the floor. After that, I attacked the sinkful of greasy dishes left overnight. Following that, I hanged the clean garments from the washing machine.

That was not all. I managed to cook rice and three side dishes within an hour for the kids’ dinner too! I had to pack their dinner in lunchboxes as I would be having a parents’ briefing on Rachel’s Shanghai trip at 6pm in the school. Thus, the kids would have to stay back in school to have their dinner while waiting for my briefing to end.

I was absolutely pleased with my performance. But I didn’t have time to gloat as it was time for me to head to school again for my afternoon duty.

I took yet another twenty minutes stroll to the school. I had to keep my eyes averted from the ground at all times as they were threatening to shut at any arising opportunity. I suppose if there was a fifty-dollar bill on the floor at that moment, I wouldn’t risk bending down to pick it up at all. There was a high tendency that I would just sprawl unconscious onto the appealing ground.

I reached the school on time at 2.40pm. For the first time, I could only plaster a smile on my face when the students tried chatting me up. Even opening my mouth seemed like an arduous task. However, once at the pool, I felt obliged to chat with the teacher again. Since the other parent volunteer was absent due to personal reason, I was the only target there. My vision blurred a few times but I was able to stay awake by downing some caffeine-laden tea.

Back at the school at 5.30pm, I fetched the kids from the various exits and brought them to the canteen for their dinner. They were elated! I was glad I didn’t buy them dinner as initially planned. Their contented smiles and happy smacking of their lips sent my heart soaring. Suddenly I was fully energized as if on ecstasy.

The supposedly half-an-hour speech by the principal and teachers-in-charge dragged to a full two-and-a-half hour. I was totally burnt out by the end of the briefing. But it was a real eye-opener for me, the dinosaur who had never flown to another country before.

It was well past nine when we finally reached home. I still managed to wash up the lunchboxes and launder the kids’ uniforms, together with another few pieces of soiled clothes, with the washing machine of course. I stayed up long enough to hang the laundry. By then, sirens were ringing in my head.

On my way back to my bedroom, I passed by the dirty pots and pans upon the greasy stove, spotted another few used cups on the dining table, and confronted the heap of unfolded clothes on my bed. Admitting defeat, I dumped the clothes onto the chair and sprawled onto the bed. Within seconds, I was dead to the world.

So much so as to being a responsible mother…

Sigh…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

pat pat, OUTSTANDING job! Kudos to you, I do not think I have the WILL power to do half of what you have done.

felicia said...

actually my laziness was the cause of ever-stacking workload.. cos i always like to leave things to tomorrow.. sigh.. hope to change.. but tiger difficult to change stripes leh.. :P

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have tormented you parents for 2 n half hours....

I think....you might be over committed to the parent volunteer work.....don't tire yourself out