Thursday, August 31, 2006

Day 4: No Energy

Better to get up late and be wide awake than to get up early and be asleep all day. ~Anonymous

I had wanted to forgo my sleep for the day, after I completed my tasks early in the morning at half past five. I took an early shower to refresh myself, savour the serene sight of the sleeping kids, snuggled into the blanket beside Angel and resolved to read a Sherlock Holmes’ book until it’s time to wake the children for school.

My decision turned out to be fatal. Within minutes, I fell into a deep slumber.

I was wakened by the busy noises of Angel waking up and getting ready for school. I peered at the alarm clock on my bedside table. It was only 8am!

“What are you doing so early in the morning?” I murmured.

“I’m getting ready for school! It’s Teachers’ Day today so I want to go to school early to give my teachers their presents!” exclaimed an over-enthusiastic Angel.

“Oh, please! It’s still so early…” With that, I drifted off into sleep again.

I was wakened once again by clatters in my room. I pried open my eyes to see Mervin was up and about too.

“What time is it?” I mumbled.

“It’s past 9am and we are getting ready for school. We don’t want to be late today,” Mervin rattled on.

I tried to roll myself off the bed only to find myself dozing off again.

“Mummy, can we have our lunch in school today?” the kids whispered in my ear.

Oh darn. I really had to wake up no matter what. I had an appointment to keep myself.

“Sure,” I muttered, and this time rolled myself off the bed successfully.

It took me a painful half an hour to wash my face, brush my teeth and change into my outfit. I spent the next fifteen minutes staring into space before crawling my way into the bathroom again to apply some makeup.

By 10.45am, we were out of the door and heading for the kids’ school. By 11.15am, I was waiting for my friend at our meeting place.

I waited almost half an hour for my friend as I was early. The wait was grueling as my eyelids were weighing like leads.

However, the wait was not futile as I had the most enjoyable afternoon with my two greatest friends. Although I was in a daze most of the time and had problem deciphering what they were talking about, the mere sight and sound and smell and taste of them were enough to make me drunk. We ate and drank like nobody’s business till I felt like I was about to explode.

I reached the school slightly late at 5.30pm to fetch the kids. A teacher whom I had painstakingly written an appreciation letter for approached me with her most sincere thanks. That lifted my spirit for a moment to know that the teacher was touched. She is a great teacher who deserves more.

The kids had their dinner at McDonald’s on our way home. The first thing I did when we reached home was to make a dash for the toilet. The food and drink I had in the afternoon was bearing down heavily and threatening to discharge itself. The satisfaction of relieving oneself after a long period of constrain was so rewarding that I felt bliss. It was at times like this that we truly know how to appreciate simple pleasure in life.

The rest of the evening was spent grooming Kristel, vacuuming and mopping the floor and washing of dishes and clothes, all with the help of my two precious jewels.

My energy was sapping out fast.

No energy to talk.

No energy to do things.

No energy to think.

No energy to… miss.

No comments: