

All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child. ~Marie Curie (1867-1934) Polish-born French chemist This is the second time I found a clump of dried leaves and twigs and human hair and fur-like stuffs sticking to the end of my mop hanging out of my kitchen window. And I don’t mean a small clump. It’s more than a fistful mess.
The first time I discovered the mesh of debris dangling at the end of my mop, I was wondering who the inconsiderate soul was who dumped his or her litter out of the window and unto my mop. But it didn’t make sense as we are living on the top floor of my block. So the suspicion landed on the workers working on the rooftop.
Without haste, I rendered my husband’s help to get rid of the junk as I couldn’t even stand the sight of it much less to touch it. It was only after the disgustful clump was removed when I heard sharp high-pitched chirping coming from the outside.
Peering out of the window, I spotted the most adorable yellow bird resting on my bamboo stick with some twigs in its beak. Horror struck me like getting hit by a truck in full speed. I couldn’t believe that I had just wrecked the home of an innocent bird! As the bird continued to fly to and fro as if in confusion, guilt devoured me whole.
I am determined this time not to commit the same sin again. I watch with delight while the hardworking little yellow aviator cruises through the air relentlessly with bits of fibres to build up the nest painstakingly. The clump doesn’t look disgusting to me anymore. It’s the most amazing piece of artwork crafted with utmost determination and patience. And in time, it’s to embrace the fruits of love which will flourish into new springs of lives.
It is just like building a home for our kids. Our time, efforts and love are the fragments used to hold the nest together. There may be blunders; some of the fragments fall out of its place, but we still try our best to patch up the hole with whatever within reach. It may be something as luxurious as plant fragments, or something as paltry as cobweb. No matter what, it’s the effort and notion which makes the home whole.
There are times when things go array. We do things that we are not supposed to do or say things we are not supposed to say. We are humans too, with feelings and emotions and tendencies to make mistakes. However, I feel adversities produce much stronger kids. Kids learn not to take things for granted and are more able to survive in the more vicious society. Likewise, parents with incorrigible kids learn to appreciate whatever little kindness displayed instead of overlooking the daily display of affection.
It’s a wonder what nature can teach us. Though there are destructions and demises every day, we shan’t forget that somewhere out there, there are new lives beginning. And it’s there we shall look into and find hope.
I’ll never forget what the Little Yellow Bird has taught me. Nothing is the end as long as you persevere and never give up. Hope is out there, everywhere. Endure and be rewarded.


No comments:
Post a Comment