What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman
When was the last time I was on my own without three restless deranged chimps in human skins bouncing around me? When was the last time when I could actually sit down for a full hour without hearing the word “MUMMY” every twenty seconds? Oh, the capitalized “MUMMY” actually implies the way it is enunciated, not the importance of the substance.
Whoever said that getting into marriage is digging one’s own grave? And who’s that someone who suggested having some kids to spice up our lives? Great! I’m now buried in a pool of spices in my grave. May someone please seal the coffin and let me rest in peace? By the way, is it soundproof underground?
This afternoon, I was home alone. I had left my kids and dog with my in-laws. All of a sudden, the quietness hit me full in the face. Nostalgia washed over me waves after waves. I’d almost forgotten how I had enjoyed a peaceful afternoon poring over my favourite books. The revisit of peace and serenity then was so mesmerizing, hypnotic, entrancing and spellbinding. All I could do was sit down on the sofa and gasp in the wondrous sensation.
Such occasion is so rare. I didn’t have the heart to waste it on monotonous chores which was initially intended. Instead, I spent a full twenty minutes staring into space hearing nothing, seeing nothing, thinking of nothing. I was like indulging myself in some luxuries. It made me feel great and yet guilty.
I had to get up when things started to get sticky. I meant my arms and legs and the whole of my body. It’s what the local tropical climate does to us. Hot, humid and clammy, I woke up from my daze and dragged myself to my feet and embarked upon my droning tasks no matter how unwilling I was feeling. I was groaning and sighing when I suddenly realized that I was behaving like my kids when they were asked to help around the house. I had to chuckle to myself.
Although the ravishing good feeling was short-lived, it’s still a blessing. I have my kids to thank for letting me know how to appreciate things like this and not to take things for granted. It’s only when things are rare that we learn to treasure it.
As I left the house for my kids and dog, everything was in order and smelled of fresh apple. Oh, in case you were wondering, I don’t plant apple trees at home. I just use fresh apple scented floor detergent on my floors. As I closed the door behind me, I know that the neat and tidiness I just achieved would last, till I bring home the kids and my dog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment