“A lot of parents pack up their troubles and send them off to summer camp.” ~Raymond Duncan
Rachel is going to school for her annual camp tomorrow. This is the first time she’s going to a camp. However, she’s cool about it. She went about packing her stuffs into the big black sports bag I provided her without seeking my help. I was the one getting all excited and jumpy for the special occasion.
“Let me see the booklet on your camp!”
“WOW! You are going to Sentosa for an Amazing Race!”
“Oooh… You get to sleep in a sleeping bag!”
“Ah… You are in the same group with…”
“Gee! You get to sing all these songs! I know these songs!”
And I started to sing the songs on the booklet one by one, while Rachel cast me an incredible side glance.
“Come on! Join me! It’ll be a great feeling singing in a large group, you know?” Not being disparaged, I tried to urge her on.
No, you can’t blame me for being delirious as I have NEVER been to a camp before. Thus, when I got news that all the Primary Five pupils get to have a chance to participate in the school’s annual camp, I consented without much consideration.
“Do your teachers need any parent volunteers for the camp? I can help, you know?”
“No! The teachers have specifically stressed that NO PARENTS ALLOWED!”
“Oh… Hey! I need to send Angel to school for her Chinese Dance practice on your first two days too! Maybe I can hang around and look for you…”
“NO! NO PARENTS ALLOWED!”
Somehow, I was wondering if she was as excited as me under her cool appearance. How can she be so calm?
“Aren’t you excited?”
“Of course I am!” But somehow I sensed that she’s more frustrated at me than being excited for her camp.
However, when her friend called her on the phone, she sounded a different person. I can hear her excited chatters and delighted chirrups across the hallway. At least she’s normal, sighed a relief me.
At the end of the day, I helped to check the things she packed into her bag.
* PE attire
* Pyjamas
* Undergarment
* Sneakers
* Socks
* Slippers
* Clothes hanger
* Face towels
* Torch (with extra batteries)
* Insect repellent
* Band aids
* Rag
* Plastic bags
* Cutlery
* Plastic plate
* Plastic mug
* Water bottle
* Personal toiletries
* Writing materials
* Sleeping bag
* Cap
* Sling bag
“Mummy, does this insect repellent have an expiry date?”
“Erm… I don’t know dear.”
“Perhaps when I apply this I won’t get insect bites, but I’ll end up with rashes.”
We stared at each other for a minute, grinned then dropped the insect repellent back into the bag.
“Oops… I don’t have extra batteries for your torch.”
“Never mind. I doubt I’ll need to go to the toilet at night.”
“But what if you really need it?”
“Mummy, never mind!”
What if the teacher decided to make things exciting and “pretend” a power failure then implore the kids for an emergency evacuation with their torches?
Ok. I’m being paranoid. Never mind.
“Goodnight and sweet dreams, Mummy.” Rachel rolled over and fell asleep.
How did she do that? I can’t help but stare at the ceiling imagining what’s going to happen at the camp, what they are going to do, how she is going to cope.
Not that I should be worried. Rachel is the most responsible and independent kids among the three. I have full confidence that she’s going to do just fine. But being a mother, I still worry when there’s nothing to be worried about.
Sigh. The problem with Rachel is there is nothing for me to fuss about. Unlike Mervin and Angel; they have too much for me to fuss about.
Dilemma.
Insomnia.


No comments:
Post a Comment