Monday, January 26, 2009

P.S. I Thank You

Housework is something you do that nobody notices until you don't do it. ~Author Unknown

Festive seasons really exhaust me inside out. I’m physically worn-out; financially burn-out; emotionally washed-out.

Kids helped with so much housework at my in-law’s place after the reunion dinner on Saturday night that made me proud but jealous at the same time. If they had taken the same initiatives at home, I would not have felt so dead beat. The normal responses from kids when I assign them with chores are a dark face from Rachel, a frown from Mervin and a “why-me-but-not-jiejie/gorgor” from Angel.

I was overloaded with last-minute spring cleaning at home on Chinese New Year eve. The living room is still in a mess with half-done packing, an extra coffee table from my dad to replace my old rusty one, and occasional mishaps from Kristel who’s having a tummy upset.

I spent the morning laundering the sofa covers, bedsheets and scrubbing the kitchen floor stained with Kristel’s accidental “spillage”.

I spent the afternoon packing the “leftovers”, wiping down the TV console area, yelling at Kristel for pooping on the living room’s floor, picking up the stinky watery poop, clearing the old coffee table, and after having to pick up stinky poop from the living room’s floor a second time, leashed Kristel in the kitchen at her toilet area, then continued tidying up the living room and vacuuming the whole house.

By the time things were almost in order, it’s near evening. I decided to dispose of the old coffee table which had become an eye-sore.

I tried lifting the table up and found that it was much too heavy for me. At that moment, I had a yearning for a man in my life. Almost immediately, I chided myself for being so weak. I put my great mind at work and not soon after I came out with a great idea.

I tipped the table over to its side and could just manage to lift the weight off the ground gripping onto two of the legs. If I tread carefully and slowly, I could make my way down the two flights of stairs to the lift area.

“What if I slip and fall down the stairs?” A thought crossed my mind.

“Well, won’t that be a great excuse for me not to go house visiting tomorrow?” I mused.

Just after I was down the first flight of stairs with my deadly grip on the hefty table, a family of four or five exited from the lift. I tried to take a rest and wait for them to clear before embarking on the second half of stairs. A voice suddenly rang beside my ears,

“Do you need help?”

A kind face materialized before my tired eyes and I saw a pair of hands reaching out.

“Oh… Err… Thank you so much!” I stuttered embarrassingly.

I felt half the weight lifted off me as the kind gentleman took over an end of my coffee table. Right when we reached the end of the flight of stairs, the man called his son over to help me with my end. I was relieved instantly.

I couldn’t thank them enough for their extreme kindness; for going all the way out to help a stranger. My heart was so filled with gratefulness, to him, and to Him.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: