Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Blessing 1-2-3

The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched. ~Henry David Thoreau, Walden

I woke up earlier than usual, but for some reasons, got out of the house later than usual.

Rain was falling from the sky in a light mist. I made my way to the MRT station, working up a slow trot. The wind tousled my hair and tugged at the frills of my blouse. The rain tap-danced gently on my head and shoulders. I widened my strides, my dark windbreaker flapping in the breeze, feeling wonderfully composed.

Yikes!

My arms flew out to gain back my balance on the slippery metal grills over the drain I just stepped onto. The perfect picture of coolness dissolved into hot embarrassment. I escaped the scene with quickened pace, not forgetting to thank God for saving me from further disgrace.

I reached the station safely without further mishaps, but late. It’s five minutes before my company bus leaves the bay and I was six minutes away from my destination.

Perhaps the bus would be late in this weather. Perhaps the train would travel faster than usual. Perhaps my watch was too fast. Perhaps...

It was a few minutes past eight when I reached my destination.

"If the bus has left, I'll simply go home," I contested.

Miraculously, when I stepped out of the station, I spotted the yellow giant aka my company bus still by the roadside. I resisted performing a victory dance and leapt right into the hundred metre dash for the grand prize.

In merely two steps of my attempt, the bus rolled away, oblivious to my presence.

My heart sank. The earlier contemplation of returning home crept into my mind again. But images of bills and expenditure and broken promise crowded in. Heaving a sigh of resignation, I made my way to the interchange to catch a bus to work.

Initial intention to work full day was doused by Rachel’s message in the late morning. Agreeing to meet her for lunch, I left office by mid-day again.

She was an hour late. And along with her came my sister-in-law and Mervin and Angel. It turned out that my sister-in-law had wanted to bring Mervin out to buy him a birthday gift; Angel had wanted to tag along; and Rachel had wanted to take a lift from my sister-in-law to meet me. Eventually, the four of them decided to head the same direction.

We had lunch at McDonalds. As usual, Rachel was lazy to get her lunch herself, and Angel was eager to comply.

“One McSpicy meal upsized, one fillet student meal upsized, both drinks change to Spirite, and whatever else Mervin wants,” I recited the order as short and simple as possible. To play safe, I asked Mervin to go along with his sister to help her out.

In the end, Angel returned with a fillet student meal, six-piece chicken munchees meal, and a McWings meal.

“Last time, when she wanted McWings, she’d order McSpicy. This time, it’s the other way round,” I laughed, whereas a grouchy Rachel had to satisfy her urge for a McSpicy with wings instead.

After lunch, my sister-in-law brought Mervin and Angel to shop for the birthday present while I accompanied Rachel to stay behind at McDonalds to revise her Chemistry. The ions really put me to sleep. When Rachel suggested lending me her notes to keep me awake, I suspected it’s her ploy to assassinate me.

Whenever I revised with Mervin and Angel, they would be the ones who pleaded with me to end the session. However, I found myself praying for a break at that moment. What an irony.

After a couple hours of torture, we headed home with dinner – 士林超大鸡排, bubble tea, chicken rice and nasi lemak.

The meal was simple but great, because of the kids.

“Is the rice too hard?”

“Is the portion enough?”

“Do you mind wings?”

Instead of complaining, they comforted me.

“The rice is okay.”

“The portion is alright. Look at my tummy!”

“有得吃就很好了!”

They really taught me how to count my blessings.

Thank you my love.

No comments: